Would a Stun gun work on bear? the short answer is BIG NO, You can never rely on a self-defense tool that force you to stay 2 ft. from a predator.
I would like to answer this question at the light of my experience & the real life examples that i have been through while camping with my friends.
Stun gun would NOT work effectively on a bear because the stun gun is a contact-weapon, so it is very risky to be close from a bear trying to attack you while on the other side, you are trying to stun the bear.
The best self-defense tool is bear spray which will not harm the bear like the firearm and guarantee your safety at the same time.
- It seems to be a good idea to protect yourself from a bear by using stun gun BUT this is not the best solution.
- Stun gun is a contact-weapon and I don’t recommend getting closer to a bear.
- Taser can be a good option as you can shoot from a long distance, but it is an expensive device that stars from 400 USD, nevertheless some bears have a thick fur and can be protected against any electrical shocks.
- Bear Spray is the best option as it is designed to protect you from bears in particular because of the long range & its price is in hand.
Would A Stun Gun Work On Bear?
- Simply NO, I am sure that is so difficult to be facing an aggressive bear with a contact-weapons.
- Anyways, you will need any self-defense tool that can shoot from a long distance up to 30 ft. like the bear spray.
- The stun gun is sending electrical currents which can not penetrate heavy clothes, and this should be the same issue with the thick fur of the bear.
- As a result of all the above, I don’t advise you to face any bear with an electrical weapon.
What Would Be The Best Self-Defense Tool Against A Bear?
- Bear Spray is the best self-defense tool against bears, it is a kind of pepper spray but designed to be working on bears not humans.
- Stun guns are electrical guns so, it would NOT work on bears in any bear attack
- I highly recommend ( frontiersman bear attack deterrent ) as it Fires up to 35 feet which is further than some other bear spray brands.
How To Avoid A Bear Attack?
I always believe that prevention is better than cure, So I would prefer to prevent a bear attack than defending your-self against a bear, therefore you will need to be cautious:
- To stay away from any area where bears are existing.
- To check the signs of the bear.
- Keep your food away from the camping tent.
- Bears don’t like noise, so while hiking with your group it is recommended to talk with them loudly.
- It is always safe to be camping at a high place, where you can see the coming bears without any surprise.
The Bottom Line:
Now, I believe the question of would a stun gun work on bear has been fully answered and you know what you have to do in such case:
- Bear Spray is the best way to be secure from any bear attack.
- Stun guns or Tasers are not effective in most cases as some bears have a think fur, and electricity will not make a huge impact on bears.
- It is always much better to avoid a bear attack than defending yourself against a giant animal may harm you badly.